Marine Regions provides an open, global gazetteer of georeferenced place names and locations, primarily focusing on marine and coastal areas.
Through unique and persistent identifiers, users can unambiguously refer to features such as bays and seamounts. Additionally, Marine Regions creates and distributes global marine vector layers such as administrative boundaries or ecological classifications.
Through the proposed Decade Action, Marine Regions seeks to increasingly adopt a demand-driven approach by involving various existing and new stakeholders. To achieve this, five areas of action have been identified:
(1) Reviving the editorial community and establishing sustainable relations with these key contributors;
(2) Consulting experts and improving the content and usability of the database;
(3) Reaching out to UN Decade Actions and working towards a co-design;
(4) Engaging the general public and their knowledge of relevant concepts;
(5) Supporting major global (UN) policy instruments.