This document presents the summary results of the working groups on the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development 2021-2030 (The Decade) six societal outcomes of the Western Tropical Atlantic Regional Workshop, 28-29 April 2020.
- Working Group I: A clean ocean whereby sources of pollution are identified, quantified and reduced and pollutants removed from the ocean.
- Working Group II: A healthy and resilient ocean whereby marine ecosystems are mapped and protected, multiple impacts, including climate change, are measured and reduced, and provision of ocean ecosystem services is maintained.
- Working Group III: A predicted ocean whereby society has the capacity to understand current and future ocean conditions, forecast their change and impact on human wellbeing and livelihoods.
- Working Group IV: A safe ocean whereby human communities are protected from ocean hazards and where the safety of operations at sea and on the coast is ensured.
- Working Group V: A sustainably harvested and productive ocean ensuring the provision of food supply and alternative livelihoods.
- Working Group VI: A transparent and accessible ocean whereby all nations, stakeholders and citizens have access to ocean data and information, technologies and have the capacities to inform their decisions.
- Cross-cutting issues