Milan, 9 November 2023 – Lorenzo Bertelli, Prada Group Head of Corporate Social Responsibility, has been invited by UNESCO Director General Audrey Azoulay to become “Patron of the Ocean Decade Alliance”, a network of eminent partners of the Ocean Decade that, by way of example, catalyze support for the Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development 2021-2030 through targeted resource mobilization, networking, and influence.
Membership of the Alliance is by invitation only and based on dedication to the vision of the Ocean Decade. Lorenzo Bertelli’s membership is in recognition of “Prada Group’s support of ocean literacy through its SEA BEYOND educational programme and also his personal vision and efforts to raise awareness of the vital role that the private sector can play in supporting ocean knowledge for sustainable development”.
The official invitation was granted prior to today’s Lorenzo Bertelli’s attendance at the 42nd session of the UNESCO General Conference in Paris, where he participated in the UNESCO Partners’ Forum “Together4Impact” as a contributor in the Climate Change panel.
Lorenzo Bertelli declared “I am delighted to accept this invitation to further amplify Prada Group’s commitment to protecting our ocean, through educating new generations on ocean literacy principles. This is the main aim of SEA BEYOND. We started this journey in 2019 and we can already see its positive impact in the enthusiasm, curiosity and passion of our young students. As a Decade Patron, I intend to foster cooperation between private companies and institutions and serve as an example, so that our collective actions can generate a far greater impact. There is still work to do and collaboration is essential to achieving collective goals”.
Since 2019, the SEA BEYOND programme has contributed significantly to the progress of ocean education on a global scale, through a series of initiatives:
– Since its debut, the project has trained more than 600 international secondary school students. In its 1st and 2nd edition, 20 secondary schools joined a dedicated educational module from Brazil, China, Italy, Mexico, Peru, Portugal, the United Kingdom, and South Africa. Over the 2nd edition, students have been invited to freely interpret (with text, graphics, or interactive content), one of the ten challenges of the Ocean Decade. The winning projects were awarded during the UN Ocean Conference event in Lisbon in June 2022. The 3rd edition of the educational module will start in early 2024;
– The “Kindergarten of the Lagoon”, an educational programme of outdoor lessons in Venice for children in preschool, which was launched in January 2023 and has already reached more than 120 children. The second edition will run from November 2023 to June 2024, involving two Venetian schools for a total of 80 students;
– Strengthened understanding of ocean literacy for Prada Group’s ~14,000 employees worldwide, via AWorld app, the official platform selected by the United Nations to live more sustainably;
– On 27 June 2023, the Prada Group announced its commitment to donate 1% of the proceeds of the Prada Re-Nylon collection to the SEA BEYOND project. This increase in resources in favour of the initiative has allowed:
1. The strengthening of the partnership with IOC/UNESCO, broadening the educational programme with a two-year new programme on ocean literacy. This includes the opening of an Ocean Decade Coordination Office in Venice, which will be responsible for the development of the programme;
2. The expansion of the SEA BEYOND programme’s intervention areas, extended to support for scientific research dissemination (such us the recent support to the promotion of the scientific discovery of black coral in Egadi Islands by marine biologist Giovanni Chimienti) and to the development of humanitarian projects, both connected with ocean preservation.
For further information:
Prada Group Press Office
About Prada Group:
The Prada Group is socially engaged to contribute to the sustainable development of the communities and stimulate the cultural debate in all its forms of expression. The Group partners with recognized players and international entities to develop educational and training programs, value talent, support scientific research, foster women’s empowerment, and promote local culture and artistic heritage. The Prada Group operates in the luxury sector through the Prada, Miu Miu, Church’s, Car Shoe, Marchesi 1824 and Luna Rossa brands.
About the Ocean Decade:
Proclaimed in 2017 by the United Nations General Assembly, the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development 2021-2030 (‘the Ocean Decade’) seeks to stimulate ocean science and knowledge generation to reverse the decline of the state of the ocean system and catalyze new opportunities for sustainable development of this massive marine ecosystem. The vision of the Ocean Decade is ‘the science we need for the ocean we want’. The Ocean Decade provides a convening framework for scientists and stakeholders from diverse sectors to develop the scientific knowledge and the partnerships needed to accelerate and harness advances in ocean science to achieve a better understanding of the ocean system and deliver science-based solutions to achieve the 2030 Agenda. The UN General Assembly mandated UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC/UNESCO) to coordinate the preparations and implementation of the Decade.
Article originally published here.