Do you want to be part of a diverse and passionate group that will advance the global communications efforts for the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (‘the Ocean Decade’)? Apply now for membership of the Ocean Decade Strategic Communications Group (SCG)!
Effective communication of the Ocean Decade itself and of the science and knowledge that is generated and used by diverse partners throughout the Decade to contribute to sustainable development will be essential to its success.
Formerly the Communications Advisory Group, the SCG provides strategic advice and guidance on the design and implementation of effective and impactful communications activities that meet the Decade’s objectives, and coordinate on joint practical communications initiatives:
- Review and comment on strategic communications plans and products for the Ocean Decade;
- Jointly develop and implement specific activities, for example around International Days and key events, and provide guidance on tools and mechanisms to monitor impact;
- Provide advice to help increase the effectiveness and reach of Ocean Decade communications and marketing activities;
- Jointly identify and communicate key messages and stories that demonstrate the value of the Ocean Decade to the target audiences outlined in the Communications Strategy;
- Support dissemination of Ocean Decade communication elements at the global, regional and national levels via professional networks;
- Identify guidelines and best practices, that will likely evolve over time, to help Member States and other stakeholder groups communicate about the Ocean Decade and its activities;
- Assist in the identification of financial and in-kind resources and new partnerships to support communications activities; and
- Where possible, provide in-kind support for Communications activities, such as translation, social media amplification and more.
The SCG will comprise up to 25 communications professionals drawn from government, media, arts, culture, private sector, philanthropy, civil society, academia, museums, zoos, aquariums and more. Communications experts from UN agencies, Ocean Decade Actions and coordination structures, and other relevant groups such as youth are also strongly encouraged to apply.
Members will be selected for a two-year term with due consideration to expertise, geographic, generational and gender balance, and will serve on a voluntary, non-remunerated basis in their personal capacities.
The full Terms of Reference and key details are available here.
Interested in becoming a member of the Ocean Decade Strategic Communications Group? Send your CV, a paragraph on your potential contribution to the Ocean Decade, and permission from your employer (e.g. short email) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 15 October 2022 at 23.59h CET.
For more information, please contact:
Ocean Decade Communications Team (email@example.com)
About the Ocean Decade:
Proclaimed in 2017 by the United Nations General Assembly, the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021-2030) (‘the Ocean Decade’) seeks to stimulate ocean science and knowledge generation to reverse the decline of the state of the ocean system and catalyse new opportunities for sustainable development of this massive marine ecosystem. The vision of the Ocean Decade is ‘the science we need for the ocean we want’. The Ocean Decade provides a convening framework for scientists and stakeholders from diverse sectors to develop the scientific knowledge and the partnerships needed to accelerate and harness advances in ocean science to achieve a better understanding of the ocean system, and deliver science-based solutions to achieve the 2030 Agenda. The UN General Assembly mandated UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) to coordinate the preparations and implementation of the Decade.